Rocky

Rocky

Saturday, July 17, 2010

Rocky

Since I've been on summer break, I've had a lot of time reflect. I'm currently in my younger 40's (eh-hem, didn't you know it's not polite to ask a woman her real age?) and can't believe I'm a horse owner! Not only do I own him but I actually ride! I never grew up with horses. They never interested me. Not until I found myself divorced, in a new career, raising my two kids and reinventing myself, that I found the equine world.
When I moved to my current state, I decided I missed not working for a farm. So I signed on to run a vegetable stand, while my son helped drive the hay truck and my daughter helped muck stalls. Inevitably, she started taking riding lessons. Which in turn, I had to try it out.
My first experience was NOT pretty. They had me sit bare back...I of course shrieked as soon as the horse moved a muscle. Three years later, I'm a proud owner of a retired thoroughbred named Rocky. This blog will be devoted to Rocky and my relationship with him. Relationship you say? People have relationships with horses? I have found out that, yes, people and horses can have relationships. Horses have personalities as individual as we humans. I have found that unless you and your horse "click", horseback riding is not fun at all. So this blog will document the ins and outs of horse ownership and the late in life realizations one might have during this ownership.
Owning a horse is much like raising children, there's never a dull moment.
Stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment