Rocky

Rocky

Sunday, July 18, 2010

rain is a good thing

Wow! So we've made it through an evening of thunderstorms. And they were ugly for sure.
However, the thunderstorms matched what I was feeling yesterday. A friend and I we were to meet a group of friends to go camping and horseback riding in the local national forest. It would be my first time riding there. Because of another obligation, I wasn't able to join them on Friday and camp the 3 days. Luckily another friend was willing to pack up and trailer me and my horse to the campsite. We were going to camp Saturday night and ride Sunday. We were so looking forward to going! Until the clouds came rolling in. We had packed each of our vehicles and headed to our respective barns. The closer we got the more dark the clouds became. And then the heavens opened up. Ughh... Should we still go? It was another 30 minutes drive east. This time of year, we could be rainy and the forest wouldn't be getting anything. And of course the campsite is remote enough that calling our friend's was not an option. So I decided to 411 and call the stables set up near the forest. Sure enough, the guy answering said that it's down pouring and that they'd had an inch in the last hour alone! I also called my friend Davy, the farrier, knowing that he lived in that area. And yes, it was a mess out there, he said. So we did the only sensible thing, we went out to dinner and ate a fish fry.

Although the food and company was good, my mood became more sour as the night went on. Even knowing that the campsite and trails would be a muddy mess, I still couldn't help but think I was missing out on something. And then when the rain decided to stop by midnight, I became even more sour. Never mind the fact today's (Sunday) forecast is 60% chance of storms again.
So here I sit at my computer, writing this blog about my equine woes of not being able to ride at all this weekend. Sure, the sun is out now and it's becoming disgustingly hot at 9 in the morning. But I can't help but have that restless feeling of wanting to get out and ride with friends. Especially while I'm having a childless weekend.

Instead, I think I'll take my dog for a good long walk, enjoying the sunny, hot weather while I can. And I will also contemplate at least driving out to the campsite, just to see what's happening with my friends. I have to see how they weathered the storms. And I have to see at least part of this forest they're all raving about.

In the mean time, Rocky will have a weekend of leisure; grazing on new, green grass the rain has supplied.

No comments:

Post a Comment